Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Insomnia and The Colosseum

I am really having a hard time writing today's blog. I'm feeling completely uninspired and very, well, not smart. I can't even come up with better phrasing for the term "not smart."

This apathy could be due to the fact that I have been dealing with insomnia this week. And the insomnia is making me...not smart.

Bear with me folks. I have no witty segue into the blog topic, so here it is- 

The Roman Colosseum:

  • The Colosseum started construction in the year 70. Yep, a double digit year. According to various accounts, it took 8-10 years to construct. That, to me, is a staggering statistic. It makes me think of what I have accomplished in 8-10 years...and it's not building a Colosseum, that's for sure.
  • The Colosseum was originally called the Flavian Amphitheater because construction began during the rule of Emperor Flavian, but it was later renamed the Colosseum, due to it's proximity to the statue of Colossus. 
  • It was built as a gift to the Roman citizens as a venue for hosting free entertainment. The events that were held there were: executions, gladiator and exotic animal fights, religious ceremonies and mock naval battles*. (*note, in my intellectually depleted state, I almost typed "navel battles," which is a pretty funny image, if you think about it.)
  • Although admission was free for citizens, you couldn't just sit anywhere in the Colosseum. The lowest class had to sit in the top row and the upper class got the floor seats on the arena level.
  • Speaking of the arena, I just learned that the word "arena" comes from the latin word for "sand." Since the arena floor was mostly sand...well, you get it; I don't need to hold your hand through this deduction.
  • The Colosseum has 76 entrances and 4 grand entrances, kind of like an Ikea. The structure was designed so that it could be evacuated in 5 minutes, unlike an Ikea.
  • Here's the best fact I found: Upon touring the Colosseum, director Ridley Scott declared that it was "too small" for his film Gladiator. They ended up designing a fake "Rome of the imagination" set. Psshht. Hollywood.
Well, that's my sleep deficient blog today. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I....ZZZZZZZ. Huh? Wait? Where am I? I think I dozed off at the computer....

Anyway, here's the featured sale item of the day. Oh, hey. It's a Roman Colosseum necklace. What a coincidence. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment