Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wait, There's a History Behind My Green Beer?

Well, St. Patrick's Day falls on a Saturday this year. Which means that I will be staying away from the popular watering holes.. Why? Well, I'm Irish and a heavy drinker...and I really hate to see when amateurs try to participate in a professional sport.

My aversion to idiotic drunken frat boys aside, St. Patrick's Day is one of the best holidays ever. Second only to Halloween (another holiday you have the Irish to thank for; you're welcome).

In this blog, I'm going to try to weave in some Irish slang. They will be italicized, so you don't think that I'm just slowly losing my mind. Anyway, let's not dodder. I'm going to pull up my socks and get onto my St. Patrick's blog.


  • I'm going to disappoint right away: St. Patrick has little to do with the actual holiday. While he is the patron saint of Ireland, he was actually from England. He was abducted around the 400's and was forced to live as a slave in Ireland. But, even after he escaped, he returned to Ireland to do missionary work. Oh, and the whole "chasing the snakes out of Ireland" thing? That didn't happen; there were no snakes in Ireland to begin with. It's a fecking good tale, though. Rumor has it, however, that he did use the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to the people of Ireland.
  • On any given day, about 5.5 million pints of Guinness (aka Black Stuff) are consumed a day. On St. Patrick's Day, however, that number rises to 13 million. Mmmmm. Black Stuff.
  • St. Patrick was said to have insisted that everyone should have "a drop of the hard stuff" on his feast day. He meant whiskey, baby! And, there is a custom known as "drowning the shamrock," which is the tradition of putting the shamrock that was worn on your lapel into your last drink of the evening....the problem I see with this? I never know when my last drink of the evening is. I usually just pass out with my arse out.
  • St. Patrick's Day was first celebrated in America in Boston in 1737. That's wicked cool. And it doesn't take a bloody genius to figure that out.
  • 34 million people in America are of Irish ancestry; the total population of Ireland is 4.1 million.
  • In 1962, the city of Chicago started dying the Chicago river green for St. Patrick's Day. This came about when a member of the plumber's union noticed that the water testing chemical they used left behind a green hue. Jaysus!
  • The actual color associate with St. Patrick? Blue. Green didn't become associated with him until the 19th century. Which is fine by me. I look amazing in green:)
Well, I'm done blathering about St. Patrick's Day. I had a good craic, did you? Slainte! And here's the featured sale item of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment