Thursday, February 9, 2012

Puppies!

There are a few things that you can say in this country that will get you branded as a communist right away. Here's two  of them: 1. "I don't watch/like football" and 2. "I don't have a dog." I will address the later, as I don't have nearly enough time to explain and justify my views on the former.

The dog thing. Just because I happen to be a parent to a cat, doesn't mean that I don't like dogs. I think dogs are quite wonderful. I just don't have a dog. And the main reason I don't have a dog is because I'm incredibly lazy. I love my cat and consider myself a wonderful cat guardian (I think that's what we are supposed to call ourselves), but I really don't have the gumption to commit to walking, bathing, and playing with a dog on a regular schedule. Some great things about cats: they poop in a box, they are- for the most part- self-grooming, and they kind of make their own playtime...in between naps, of course. This is not to say that I don't over-mother my cat and lavish her with attention, because I definitely do. I just don't have to follow her around outside with a plastic baggie like some sort of strange butler, waiting for her to poop. And for me, that's rad.

But, back to my point. Just because I chose a cat over a dog doesn't mean that I don't like dogs. And, for the record, I hate the terms "Cat People" and "Dog People." Anytime someone says "I'm just not a cat person" what that really means is "I have never successfully won over the attention of a cat, and therefore I take that as rejection and now I'm going to self-preserve my ego by stating that I'm not into cats even though I secretly would love to experience a cat purring in my lap." Wait, was that a little judgmental? Well, what do you expect from a "cat person?"

But, to show complete bipartisanship, I'm gonna blog about dogs today. More specifically, puppies!


  • Did you know that chihuahua puppies are born with a soft spot on their heads, just like human babies? 
  • This should go without saying, but puppies can not eat cat food. And neither should humans...I'm talking to you, Lady Who Eats Cat Food on the show My Strange Addiction.
  • Dogs only listen to the first syllable of their name. So, when you are training a puppy, either just name him/her a monosyllabic namer or shorten it when you call them. So much for the classic name, Fido... 
  • The Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog breed in the US, Canada, and UK. But, you should ALWAYS adopt your puppy from an animal rescue center. Never from a puppy mill. Rescue animals are the best. Of course, that's just my beliefs...but they are right:)
  • Puppies are born blind, deaf and toothless.
  • A puppy spends about 14 hours a day sleeping. Just like a college student.
  • This isn't really a puppy fact, but 2 dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic. If that doesn't make you smile today, then I don't know what can.
And here's a necklace for you. And you can pretend that it is of the 2 surviving Titanic dogs. It's not, but I won't tell if you won't....




No comments:

Post a Comment