Wednesday, February 29, 2012

It's a Leap Day Miracle!

I'm not proud to admit this, but I am a huge sucker for Romantic Comedies...aka "Rom Coms." I'm even more ashamed to admit that my husband is just as big of a sucker for Rom Coms as I am. This essentially makes Friday night movie nights at the Darling house remarkably close to the way I spent every Friday night in high school: sitting on the couch with my best friend, watching a chick flick. I wasn't very popular in high school...did I mention that? 

But whatever. To those who don't enjoy a good Rom Com: well, I'm sorry that you are an android or made of stone or some sort of Eastern European. And of course, I couldn't talk about Rom Coms without mentioning one of the queens of them: Amy Adams. And I couldn't mention Amy Adam's Rom Coms without mentioning one of the sappiest: Leap Year.

Whew. It took me a while to get to that one....glad you could take the "leap" with me (*cue rimshot).

Since today is Leap Day, let's look into it, shall we?

  • For those of you who haven't seen Leap Year (i.e., those of you without a soul), it is a Leap Day tradition that started in Ireland in which a woman could propose to a man on Feb. 29 without fear of ridicule. Apparently, it started when St. Brigitte struck a deal with St. Patrick to make this happen. No word on if St. Brigitte is getting any back end profits on the Leap Year movie deal.
  • You've got a 1 in 1461 chance of being born on Leap Day. So, Leap Day babies are lucky. And not at all the freaks that I've been telling everyone that they are. Sorry about that.
  • So when do the Leap Day freaks...er, I mean, Lucky People celebrate their birthdays when it's not Leap Year? Turns out it's different in various regions. In places like China, Taiwan, and New Zealand, 21 year old Leap-ers get to have that first legal drink on Feb. 28th; Leap-ers in the US, UK, and Hong Kong, however, have to wait until March. 1.
  • Sir James Milne Wilson, 8th Premier of Tasmania, was born on Leap Day and died on Leap Day. Other "famous" Leap Day babies: Ja Rule, Antonio Sabato, Jr., and Dinah Shore.
  • And, as of last week's 30 Rock episode (the first good one of the season, as far as I'm concerned), I think that we need to start celebrating Leap Day as suggested by Tina Fey and crew: dress up like Leap Day William, poke people in the eye for not wearing blue and yellow, and trade candy for children's tears. Got it? Good, now go make Leap Day William proud!
And here's a necklace that I think celebrates the whole Leap Day-Irish-Proposal thing. Plus, it will be a great necklace to have for St. Patty's Day:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment