Monday, August 8, 2011

You Spin Me Right 'Round, Baby. Right "Round

Up until recently, I held a pink collar job at a HUGE radio conglomerate. I will not name this corporation, but most indie musicians would agree that this corporation might have been the lovechild from of a drunken encounter between pure evil and greed...and a complete disregard for anti-trust laws.

I spent 10 years working as a radio "insider." That was 9 and 1/2 years longer than I had planned. Aside from learning how to scam free food, I also learned a great deal about the music industry during my sentence...I mean employment.

Don't worry, this isn't a "blow this whole thing wide open/All the President's Men" type expose....I'll leave that for someone who gives a f@*k.

We'll just look at a little bit of history and trivia about the music industry.


  • Before the invention of the phonograph by Thomas Edison, the number one selling item in the music industry was sheet music.
  • By the beginning of the 20th century, The record industry replaced sheet music as the main force in music. 
  • One of the companies that formed out of the invention of the phonograph was the Victor Talking Machine Company (known for the Victrola) which would later merge with RCA, becoming RCA Victor. The Japanese faction of the company was known as JVC (The Victor Company of Japan), However, Victor severed it's ties with JVC during the start of World War II.
  • The first Grammy awards were held in 1959. Domenico Modugno beat out Frank Sinatra and Peggy Lee for record of the year. Wait....who?
  • The first CD was developed by Phillips and Sony in 1980. The first CD I ever purchased: Out of Time by R.E.M. Why did I buy it? Because I saw a cute guy at Hastings buying it....
  • The term "Disc Jockey" was first used in 1937.  
  • Ironically, Barry Manilow did not write the song "I Write the Songs." Watergate AND this trickery? The 1970's was a decade of deception!
  • 90% of all music downloads are illegal downloads. Yowza!
  • The LP record (Long Play for all of you children out there) was invented in 1948. And they are still collected by music aficionados and weird hoarders today.
  • FACT: Old-timey phonograph images make awesome necklaces: 


No comments:

Post a Comment