Monday, June 20, 2011

Vroom! Vroom!

A few true facts about me: I've never broken a bone, I've never had a manicure, and up until yesterday, I had never seen a 3D movie. Yes, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 took my proverbial 3D virginity. And Johnny Depp still hasn't called! Mama warned be about movies like that.

And one more fact about me: I've never been on a motorcycle. Yep. True story. Even though my husband owns 2 motorcycles, I have not been able to muster up the courage to get on one. I want to point out that my not riding a motorcycle might have something to do with my not ever having broken a bone...I'm just sayin'.

So, maybe a motorcycle fact-finding blog will convince me to ride a motorcycle. Or maybe not.


  • The Fonz (aka Henry Winkler) couldn't actually ride a motorcycle. 
  • Evil Knievel holds the record for breaking the most number of bones and surviving. Um this is not encouraging me to get on a motorcycle.
  • The term "motorcycle" was coined by British inventor Edward Butler when he built a twin cylinder tricycle prototype in 1885.
  • But, it was German inventor Gottlieb Daimler who is credited with building the first practical motorcycle in 1885.
  • While not necessarily a motorcycle manufacturer, the word Vespa means "wasp." I think that's adorable:)
  • On average, engineers are most likely to crash a motorcycle. Lecturers are least likely to crash. So, clearly before I get on a motorcycle, I need to become a lecturer.
  • Irish saint Columbanus of Bobbio is the patron saint of motorcyclists.
  • Kawasaki also makes spaceships. That's fitting because their motorcycles are also called crotch rockets...
  • The first Harley Davidson built in 1903 used a tomato can as a carburetor. 
  • Before the First World War, Indian Motors was the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world. The company took a hit during the war because they sold a great number of bikes to the US government, leaving them with very few to sell to the American public.
  • According to a random Internet source, Honda is the top selling motorcycle worldwide today.
I don't know what kind of bike this is; I just know that it looks old-timey and that's why I like it. : http://www.etsy.com/listing/74919913/retro-motorcycle-resin-belt-buckle-steam
WAnt 15% off? Just enter BLOG15 at checkout:)

No comments:

Post a Comment