Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I'm Game!

I'm a very competitive person. Especially when it comes to games. We are talking "marriage-wrecking" competitive. I've been known to never play a game again if I am not good at it the first time. I've displayed very ill behavior when playing games. I've argued the "correctness" of the answer on a Trivial Pursuit card. I've given my husband the cold shoulder when he's beaten me at Scrabble (or Words with Friends). I've smashed that stupid lump of clay they give you with Cranium. I've never cheated, but I've displayed some very bad manners. Despite all that, I still love board games. Because, when you are winning you are on top of the world. Winning a board game shows your spouse, friends, co-workers, casual acquaintances, etc. that you are smarter, more cunning, more creative, and just a better person in general than them. But when you are losing.....well, that's when you throw the game pieces up in the air and storm out like a spoiled brat.

I'm sure there are a few others out there like myself. Let's hope we never play Monopoly together...we might all end up in the ER for thimbles to the eye.

Well, let's find out more about board games, shall we?
  • The oldest complete board game found so far is called "The Royal Game of Ur." The game was found in 1926 in a tomb in what is now Iraq, but the game itself is thought to date back to 2500 BCE
  • The most popular board game? That would be Scrabble. My highest one-word score in Scrabble? (OK, Words With Friends) 142 points. Why am I telling you this? I'm telling everybody!
  • The word Domino is from the french word that refers to the black and white hooded robes that Catholic priests wore in the winter.
  • The jigsaw puzzle was invented by Englishmen John Spilsbury in 1767.
  • Quite fittingly, Charles Darrow became the fist millionaire from creating a board game when he sold his patent of Monopoly to Parker Bros.
  • The Ouija board got its name from combining the French and German words for yes ("Oui" and "Ja"). It was introduced commercially as a harmless parlor game in the 1890's by Elijah Bond. It gained its occult reputation when the spiritualist Pearl Curran used it during World War I as a "divining tool" (that's what she said!)
Want your own "divining tool?" Here's a necklace for you then: http://www.etsy.com/listing/67255387/ouija-board-necklace-retro-rockabilly

No comments:

Post a Comment