Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Quit Bugging Me!

A few days ago, I saw our first spider in the house. My cat, Maeby, was quickly on it.

I guess it's that time again. The time when I have to start checking the shower for any lingering, pervy spiders; or start dodging moths when I turn on the light; or have my blood run cold when I come face to face with my biggest phobia: the June Beetle.

I'm just going to say it. I hate bugs. Hate them. I know that is such a girlie cliche, but it's true. And I know that they have the right to exist and that they help the eco-system and blah, blah, blah. But do they have to be so damn gross? Lady Bugs get a pass, but every other bug is permanently on my shit list.

But, for someone who hates bugs so much, I certainly spend a lot of time making insect inspired jewelry and writing about them. I guess it's just survival instinct. KNOW THY ENEMY.

So without further ado, here's some skin-crawling facts about insects and bugs.

  • What's the difference between and insect and bug? Bugs belong to the insect world, but not all insects are bugs. Bugs are a certain type of insect that have a mouth shaped like a straw so they can suck plant juices. Gross.
  • The biggest bug? The South American longhorn beetle. It measures over 9 inches long. Gross.
  • Insects have an exo-skeleton, so when they grow they have to crack open their skin (or molt) and grow new skin. Gross.
  • The name "insect" is from Latin and was originally designated to any animal that appeared to be "cut in" or divided. Gross.
  • How long can insects live? Too long. A tarantula can live up to 30 years and a queen termite can live up to 50 years. Longevity = Gross.
  • Do insects bleed? Yes. But only pure evil. OK, that's not true. They do bleed, but their blood isn't red because they don't carry oxygen in their blood; they carry nutrients in their blood. So their blood is the color of nutrients. Gross.
  • The Atlas Moth, a silk moth, is so big that it can be mistaken for a bat when flying. Terrifying and gross.
  • It's estimated that there are between 10-30 million known species of insect in the world, but only one million is known to science. That is vastly terrifying and gross.
  • The Tarantula Hawk delivers one of the most painful stings in the world. The female Tarantula Hawk will paralyze a tarantula, drag it's paralyzed body back to her nest, lay an egg in the tarantulas abdomen, then allow her tiny Tarantula Hawk babies feast on the tarantula from the inside out. Scary, kind of bad-ass, and GROSS! But a great necklace: http://www.etsy.com/listing/63960295/retro-spider-wasp-necklace-rockabilly

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha, quite some fear you have here!! Diffidently not uncommon!! ;D I'm not too scared of bugs... thankfully. There are the spindly spiders that I'm… terrified.... of. lol. But the jumping spiders are actually really cute... and jumpy ^_^ Teehee. I think the facts about bugs are actually really cool! Haha, I mean, who do you know that has blue blood???? Haha! xD
    Well, the last fact is pretty gross, but cool necklace, though <3
    *Hugs!*
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete