Monday, April 11, 2011

Forty Whacks!

Well, it's Monday. I'm at work. And I'm cranky. I'm tired. And I don't want to be here.

So, let's talk about axe murderers, shall we? Let's talk about Lizzie Borden.

  •  Lizzie Borden was actually acquitted of the crime due to lack of evidence, but she would always be associated with the murders.
  • The popular rhyme (made up to sell newspapers) which accuses her of administering "40 whacks" with a hatchet, is false. Her stepmother received 18-19 whacks and her father only 11.
  • After the trial, Lizzie changed her name to Lizbeth.
  • Lizzie was a spinster and rumoured lesbian. After the murders, Lizzie became involved with the theatre community and she developed a "close friendship" with the actress Nance O'Neil. The two were seen meeting up in hotels on several occasions. Presumably to rehearse lines, I'm sure.
  • The Fall River, MA house where the murders took place is now a bed and breakfast. Hey, why not?
  •  Elizabeth Montgomery (aka Samantha on Bewitched) is a distant relative- sixth cousin once removed- and she portrayed Lizzie in a made for TV movie in 1975.
  • Chloe Sevigny is slated to play her in an upcoming HBO movie.
  • My favorite portrayal of Lizzie Borden? Martin Prince on the Simpsons. "Forty whacks with a wet noodle, Bart."

And here's a necklace fit for an axe murderer: http://www.etsy.com/listing/55212605/lizzie-borden-necklace-retro-steampunk




2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, sounds like you had a wonderful day ;D I read about you on kz Blog and thought you were great!! :) I hope to read another post soon ;)
    *Hugs!*
    Jordan <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you so much! I'm so glad that the interview was well recieved. And I'm glad you like my blog:)
    *hugs*
    -Whiskey

    ReplyDelete