Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Where's My Heart? In San Francisco, you say?

Here's something: the first time I ever purchased a hallucinogenic substance was in San Francisco. I will say no more at the risk of incriminating myself. However, it was over 15 years ago, so the statute of limitations has run out on that.

I will say this, though. I absolutely adore San Francisco (and not just for the reason stated above). I love the culture, the ambiance, the music, the food. I could go on, but instead I'll just share some interesting facts about the city by the bay.

  • The fortune cookie was invented in San Francisco.
  • The city is built on 43 hills.
  • San Francisco outlawed burials in 1901, and the Presidio and Mission have the city's only remaining cemeteries. The dead are in neighboring Colma, making it the world's only incorporated city where the dead outnumber the living. Permanent residents of its 16 cemeteries include Wyatt Earp and Joe DiMaggio. Wow! That might be one of the most interesting things I've learned this year.
  • Cable Cars are the only moving national monument.
  • Alcatraz means "pelican" in Spanish. See, you get a history lesson and a language lesson. You are welcome.
  • Marylin Monroe and Joe DiMaggio were married at the San Francisco City Hall in 1954
  • The original name for San Francisco was Yerba Buena, which is Spanish for "good herb" or "good grass." Yeah....that joke writes itself.
  • The Golden Gate Bridge is too long to paint. It is painted in sections and by the time it is done at one end, it's time to start back up at the beginning. Now, that's what I call job security.
  • And most importantly: Irish Coffee was invented in San Francisco. San Fran, I owe my Sunday morning rehab ritual to you:)
Take a piece of San Francisco with you everywhere you go http://www.etsy.com/listing/69098856/san-francisco-necklace-heart-golden-gate

2 comments:

  1. I love SF, too! I have family in the area and have been going every summer since I was a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss SF! I'm hoping to get back there very soon:)

    ReplyDelete