Yep. Today is the birthday Vincent Van Gogh. And, here's a few fun facts about him:
- Van Gogh originally wanted to be a priest. But, he did not adapt too well to the celibate lifestyle, preferring to take up with prostitutes instead.
- Speaking of prostitutes; he gave his ear (or part of his ear) to one. Yeah. While it's debated whether he cut off his entire ear or just the lower lobe, he did wrap up the ear or ear piece and gave it to a hooker to "hang on to." Which is weird because, I had learned in elementary school that he cut off his ear and mailed it to his "girlfriend." Oh, the things you learn as you get older.
- In a period of ten years, Van Gogh created over 900 paintings. But, he only sold one in his lifetime.
- Van Gogh battle with mental illness pretty much his entire life (if the whole ear/prostitute thing didn't give that away) and one of his most famous paintings, Starry Night, was painted during his stay at an asylum.
- Van Gogh didn't start painting until his late twenties.
- Van Gogh died at the age of 37 from a self-inflicted gun shot wound to the chest.