Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Me Gusta Mucha!

So, I quit my job today. Well, technically, I turned in my resignation and gave my notice. So, I'm still at said "quit" job, but I finally took that step. This information has absolutely nothing to do with today's blog post. I'm just so damn happy about this:)

Today, I'm going to hip you to Alphonse Mucha, if you are not already acquainted with his work.

Mucha was a Czech born artist who got his big break in Paris in 1894 when he painted a poster for an upcoming play starring Sarah Bernhardt. This poster literally made Mucha an overnight sensation. His style became known as the "Mucha Style" and later Art Nouveau. Yeah, that's right he STARTED Art Nouveau. That's pretty huge.
But, he kind of didn't really like being associated with Art Nouveau because he felt that it focused too much on commercial art. He was really into Slavic Nationalism and really wanted his work to portray the work and the struggle of the Czech people instead of hyping some actress.
Unfortunately, this belief put him on the radar during the German occupation of Czechoslovakia. In the spring of 1939, Mucha was one of the first artists to be arrested by the Gestapo. During the course of his interrogation, he fell ill with pneumonia. He was later released but he never fully recovered and died later that year.
Mucha's art is incredibly important and has influenced everything from 1960's psychedelic to Japanese anime.

And here's a necklace if you want to pay homage to Mucha...and help out a soon-to-be-unemployed jewelry maker at the same time:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/71021331/alphonse-mucha-necklace-retro-deco-art

1 comment:

  1. Im hoping you quit your regular boring 9-5 day job because you're doing well with all your creative endevours! Someday I hope to do the same....this is a gorgeous necklace, I love it!

    ReplyDelete