Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cat Fancy

So, yesterday I went home early from work because I was sick. I ended up watching part of the movie Cats and Dogs with my husband who is also sick. I want to clarify that we were both sick so that it justifies the fact that we were watching such a crappy movie.  Anyway, I noticed that Hollywood seems to have a dog bias. More often then not, cats seem to be portrayed as evil, finicky, stand-offish beasts. Think about it: Dr. Evil's cat, Mr. Bigglesworth, Dr. Claw's cat in Inspector Gadget, Cat Woman....
I feel like cats get a bad rap. True, I've met a few douche bag cats. I even had a douche bag cat. But, I've also met a few douche bag dogs too. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but c'mon- lay off the cat bashing, Hollywood.
That being said, here are a few interesting things about cats:

1. The cat to human ratio in Austria is 1:1
2. 50% of cat owners buy xmas gifts for their cat
3. Both cats and humans have identical regions of the brain that are responsible for emotion
4. A cat's clavicle is not connected to the rest of his/her bones, which allow him/her to fit through spaces the width of his/her head.
5. Cats can be right pawed or left pawed.
6. Cats lap liquid from the underside of their tongue, not from the top. I did not know that.
7. The Maine Coon is America's only natural breed of cat. I happen to have a Maine Coon cat, which is why I included this fact.
8. Cats respond most readily to names that end in the "ee" sound.
9. You know who loved cats? Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein, and Charles Lindbergh. You know who hated cats? Hitler. I'm just saying. People who like cats are awesome.
10. FACT: Cats dressed up in human clothing is always hilarious, as demonstrated below:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67746944/retro-victorian-kitties-necklace-cats

No comments:

Post a Comment