Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Why the long face?

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says "Why the long face?" Ha ha. Only, to be honest, I usually tell that joke using Sarah Jessica Parker instead of the horse.... Sorry, SJP. Other than jokes, I don't know much about horses. I think they're pretty (see, SJP- my joke is a COMPLIMENT to you) and I know that they are very useful, and that rich people really seem to like them. So, in light of my ignorance of horses, I looked up a few interesting facts:

1. You can tell a horses age by looking at it's teeth. Which is also where the expression "long in the tooth" came from.
2.A horse is measured in "hands." Each hand is four inches
3.Horses spend more energy lying down than standing up
4.Horses hooves are like fingernails and need to be clipped like them
5.The smallest horse ever was named Little Pumpkin and was only 14 inches tall and 20 pounds...that's the size of some cats I know. Cuteness!
6.Old Billy was the oldest horse recorded. He lived to be 62.
7.Mr. Ed was a talented animal actor, but apparently he was quite a diva too. When he was cranky, he would refuse to "act" and would just stand still and grunt instead of doing his tricks. Weird. It's almost like horses DON"T want to be forced into acting.
8.The Greek word Equus means "quickness."
9. A male horse is called a stallion, a female horse is called a mare, a baby horse is a foal, a father horse is a sire and a mother horse is a dam.
10. That whole Catherine the Great/horse rumor was completely false. She died of a stroke...not "getting acquainted" with a horse.

Now that you are armed with facts and you want to accessorize...or if you are Sarah Jessica Parker, here's a necklace for you:)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/64218198/retro-horse-resin-necklace-by-whiskey


3 comments:

  1. thats an adorable necklace! I have my eye on the Queen Victoria one though (and I own one of yours, a victorian pumpkin/halloween necklace already, its fab!).
    Oh and my son refers to SJP as "Foot Face" which I prefer to horse-faced, I have to say she does look like a foot with a luxurious wig on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like the Halloween necklace! That was a fun one to make:) I'm also glad I'm not the only one that thinks SJP is a little on the "foot-faced" side. Thanks for following my blog- you are the only one so far:)...(except myself and my husband).

    ReplyDelete
  3. no problem, Im glad you HAVE a blog! and glad to see you posting! I love your work, and photos! Have a wonderful day :-D

    ReplyDelete