Thursday, January 20, 2011

Just "Skull"king about

So it seams that everytime I post a new blog, I learn something embarrassingly new...like something that I really should have known WAY before adulthood. Here's the latest fact that I JUST learned:

A skull consists of 2 parts: the top part which is the cranium and the "detachable" jaw part called the mandible.  A skull without the mandible is just a cranium.

OK, I know that seems obvious, but I sort of thought that cranium was just another fancy schmancy technical term for skull and that the two words were interchangeable... like horndog and Charlie Sheen. But the cranium is part of the skull, so it's more like herpes and Charlie Sheen . I'm joking, of course. Nobody cares about Charlie Sheen.

Enough about my stupidity. Here's some more skull facts:

1. The human skull is normally made up of 22 bones that are fused together, with the exception of the mandible.
2. The word skull comes from the old Norse word "skulle."
3. The primary function of the human skull is to protect the brain.
4. Early New England tombstones were adorned with carved skulls to serve as a reminder of mortality.
5. Many cultures use the skull as a symbol of death or warning- such as momento mori, Day of the Dead celebrations, the Jolly Roger flag, or the skull and crossbones that appear on warning labels.



Buy the necklace at: http://www.etsy.com/listing/65757803/siamese-skulls-necklace-rockabilly-vlv

2 comments:

  1. AHHHH!!!---"OK, I know that seems obvious, but I sort of thought that cranium was just another fancy schmancy technical term for skull and that the two words were interchangeable... like horndog and Charlie Sheen. But the cranium is part of the skull, so it's more like herpes and Charlie Sheen . I'm joking, of course. Nobody cares about Charlie Sheen."
    Hilarious! And dont feel too badly, I always thought Cranium was just another fancy term for brain. I guess mine isnt too sharp! :-D My husband loves this necklace by the way--the king of skulls/craniums with and without mandibles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is not quite up to par on my medical bones terms:)

    ReplyDelete